Looking for what YOU can do in these destabilizing times? Here are concrete calls to action from my friend, the very smart filmmaker Amy Barrett:
Friends, we can and must stop the appointment of white supremacist Steve Bannon to the position of White House chief strategist. Some key leaders have now spoken out to denounce his views, but that is not enough: They need to call for his removal. Bannon has zero place in our government. Making the Trump administration feel a strong backlash to its first attempt to perpetrate an outrage is where this struggle starts.
WHAT YOU CAN DO NOW:
1) Call and/or fax your representatives and senators to say that
Bannon’s appointment is completely unacceptable. If you already called yesterday, call again today.
2) Also call the following leaders, most of whom have spoken out
against Bannon but not strongly enough. Ask them to demand Bannon’s immediate removal:
Sen. Chuck Schumer: 202-224-6542
Sen. Elizabeth Warren: 202-224-4543
Sen. Bernie Sanders: 202-224-5141
Rep. Nancy Pelosi: 202-225-4965
Rep. James Clyburn: 202-225-3315
3) Sign and share this petition from the Southern Poverty Law Center, longtime experts on hate groups in America:
4) No GOP leaders have come out against Bannon. Let’s contact them, starting with those who have criticized Trump, and urge them to do so. Republican pressure is going to be important. Here is a partial contact list:
Sen Jeff Flake 202-224-4521
Sen John McCain 202-224-2235
Sen Ben Sasse 202-224-4224
Sen Mike Lee 202-224-5444
Rep. Mia Love (202) 225-3011
5) House Speaker Paul Ryan and Majority Leader Mitch McConnell are trying to avoid commenting on this issue. Let’s keep the pressure on them. McConnell looked awkward and silent when asked about this yesterday and Ryan refused to criticize him.
Speaker Paul Ryan (202) 225-3031
Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, (202) 224-2541